Thursday, November 01, 2007

We Can Be Heroes!




That was the theme of the 20th Anniversary of the AIDS Services of Austin walk that was held last Sunday. Beck, Madalyn, and I participated in the 5k walk around downtown to support the organization in their annual fundraising event. ASA is one of my audit clients at work and after one year working with them I was absolutley blown away by what they do, and how well they do it. Until I started working at ML&R I never realized that in Austin we are truly blessed by the number and quality of individuals serving in non-profit organizations. Arts based, youth-centered, homeless, help with higher education - you name it, it's here. Several of my clients are working at non-profits in their retirement, others doing it to make and difference and ASA is definitely one of them. Being around it all of the time definitely makes you want to be a better person, so this was our step in the right direction. I had a difficult conversation with Madalyn about AIDS, cancer, and other things that I never would have talked to her about without this opportunity.
On a lighter note, her highlight was getting to see someone walk a cat and they both loved the huge cake at the end of the race. Downtown Austin was already being decorated for Christmas, so they liked that a lot. In the picture with Madalyn you can see the Capitol in the background.

No comments: